High blood pressure or hypertension is a common problem especially among the the people who are 40 years old and beyond. It is characterized by abnormally high pressure of the blood that circulates in the body. It is most commonly caused by unhealthy lifestyle, poor nutrition, heredity, and accumulation of cholesterol in the arterial walls.
Other factors that can lead to high blood pressure include age, stress, obesity, pregnancy, excessive alcohol intake, frequent eating of salty or fatty foods, smoking, and family history.
A sedentary lifestyle or lack of regular physical exercise, thyroid disorders and chronic kidney disease can also trigger high blood pressure in some people.
High blood pressure can be manifested by headaches, dizziness, nausea, palpitation, blurred vision, fatigue, chest pains, and breathing difficulty.
There are common herbal and home remedies for high blood pressure. These include:
1. Decreasing salt intake;
2. Avoiding stress and the practice of relaxation techniques like meditation and yoga;
3. Avoiding tobacco and smoking as it can contribute to the hardening of the arteries;
4. Eating garlic paste with buttermilk or taking garlic supplement. Garlic helps to minimize the spasms of small arteries and lowers pulse rate. It also works to improve breathing;
5. Taking Amla or Indian gooseberry based supplements on a daily basis. Amla is rich in vitamin C and its antioxidant properties help to protect you from hypertension and stroke;
6. Drinking lemon juice everyday. Lemon juice contains vitamin P or bioflavonoids which is necessary for the prevention of capillary fragility. It is also rich in vitamin C which helps to strengthen the capillaries and prevent internal hemorrhage;
7. Eating boiled potatoes;
8. Regular intake of potassium rich foods such as yogurt, strawberries, tomatoes, and bananas;
9 Drinking orange juice, coconut water, carrot juice, and spinach juice on a regular basis;
10. Taking ashwagandha, bacopa monnieri, convolvulus or pluricaulis herbal supplements; and
11. Taking arjuna or pomegranate based herbal supplements.
These are some of the herbal or home remedies that can help to reduce high blood pressure. They are not meant to replace the prescription or advice of licensed professionals.